ABSTRACT

In 1446 William Revetour, chaplain of St William’s Ousebridge, York, and a theatrically minded clergyman, left in his Will ‘to the Brotherhood of Corpus Christi in York, a certain book called Le Crede Play, with the books and banners thereto appertaining … to the Guild of St Christopher, a certain play of St James the Apostle, put together in six pageants/pages’ (the word paginae is ambiguous here), and to the Girdlers’ Guild, a gilt crown and girdle for their Corpus Christi play, the Massacre of the Innocents. 1 He also left a small library. Besides several service books, and a few standard theological and pastoral works, this included an interesting handful of books of a certain type in English: ‘a book of The Lord’s Prayer and The Prick of Conscience in English’, a book of the Gospels and ‘a Lives of the Saints, drawn into English’, and ‘a certain book drawn from the Bible into English’, which it has been suggested was the Historia Scholastica later bequeathed by his legatee, Thomas Tubbac, to St John’s Ousebridge. 2 Among his other bequests were a glossed Bible, a glossed Psalter (both presumably in Latin), the commentary on St Matthew attributed to Chrysostom, a book of Lenten sermons, all of which he left to clerics, and what sounds suspiciously like a local version of the exultet roll, ‘a large roll drawn out of the Bible in Latin, with pictures on one side and a table of the Lord’s Prayer in Latin on the other’. 3