If a parent has withdrawn a pupil from a non-statutory sex education programme, a teacher may not give advice to that pupil on sexual matters without parental consent. However, a teacher suggesting where a child might seek confidential information - for example, from their GP, the Brook Advisory Centre or a specialised clinic - is not deemed to be providing sex education, but merely giving information as to where advice, counselling (and treatment) could lawfully be obtained. As a general rule, teachers are not qualified to give medical advice to pupils and should refer them for such advice to a medical professional.