HenryVI had been dead only a few hours when the Duke of Gloucester started for Kent with a part of the army that had returned to London with Edward, and the next day, while the funeral barge was on its way to Chertsey, the king followed his brother with the rest of the troops and with Clarence, Arundel, Rivers, Hastings, and other lords in attendance. 1 Edward travelled slowly, for he stopped here and there to punish some of those who had assisted in the Bastard of Fauconberg’s insurrection. He did not reach Canterbury until 26th May, and when he did arrive, he found a very repentant city and magistrates bedecked with white roses. 2 No sudden display of devotion to the house of York, however, could save Canterbury from paying the penalty of her sins. Her liberties and franchises were taken from her; some of her citizens were hanged; many others were arrested, and Mayor Faunt, who before this time had been seized and placed in the Tower, was brought home to be kept in ward until a full inquiry could be made into the crimes attending the recent disturbances. 3 But the tedious task of dealing with the mass of offenders in Kent was left to a commission to be appointed later and, after a short stay in Canterbury, the king went on to Sandwich, where the guiltiest of the guilty was abiding his coming. As the Bastard of Fauconberg had made an offer to surrender his ships as soon as he heard that the king and his army were starting for Kent, Gloucester 2had already gone ahead to receive the ships, and all that Edward had to do when he reached Sandwich was to accept the Bastard’s submission. 1 This he did at once and then, leaving Sir John Scott in charge at Sandwich, the Earl of Arundel at Dover, Thomas St. Leger at Rochester, and a captain named John Brumston at Canterbury, he went back to London and took the Bastard with him. 2 A few days later (4th June) the Archbishop of York was released from the Tower, and shortly after the Bastard of Fauconberg received his pardon and undertook to serve under the Duke of Gloucester in the marches towards Scotland. Letters of protection were granted to the Bastard on 16th June, and he probably went north with Gloucester soon after. 3