The next witness called was Joseph Drake, who was examined by Mr. Topping. He said he was a cloth dresser, and worked at the time of the attack on Mr. Cartwright’s mill, at John Drakes. He went with John Walker and Jonathan Dean from Jonathan Dean’s bouse. He set off about ten o’clock at night. He had been acquainted with them for some time. They were to meet in a field of Sir George Armytage’s. As they went they overtook many persons going to the same place, but did not overtake any of the prisoners. When they arrived at the place of meeting they found a considerable number of persons collected, from one hundred and thirty to one hundred and fifty. He did not see any of the prisoners in Sir George’s field. They were called over by numbers, and placed two by two. They were also mustered into oompanies; could not say who mustered them. A good number of them had arms. Witness was in the pistol company: did not know how many oompanies there might be. There were companies of musket men, companies of pistol men, and also companies of hatchet men. When they were put in order they were marched to Mr. Cartwright’s mill. Witness did not go to the mill, but halted about sixty yards from it. Never saw the prisoner Dean after they’ left Sir George Armytage’s field, but did not see him go away. Witness when he was at the place where they halted 238heard a good deal of firing. Many of the party stopped behind. Witness had a pistol part of the way but had not a pistol when they halted; he had then no arms. The main body proceeded to the mill; the firing was loud; could not hear the break ing of the windows for the noise of the firing; the firing continued a quarter of an hour to twenty minutes. Dean had a hammer with him, and was solicited to go by John Walker, who had a pistol with him and a smook frock on; did not know James Haigh; knew Thos. Brook; first saw him at Hightown on their return. The party went off in different directions. Witness went towards Hightown; Thomas Brook had nothing with him when he saw him; had seen him before, fcis clothes were very wet. Witness thought he said he had been in the mill dam, and he was without hat. George Mellor was with him, they stopped at Samuel Naylor’s, and a hat was borrowed there for Thomas Brook. Mellor was the person who borrowed the hat, and he went along with them; they stopped at another place near Clifton, where they asked for some muffins and water; a woman gave them some out of the window. The hat was delivered to them by Samuel Naylor’s wife. Witness knew John Ogden (another of the prisoners): had known him before the 11th of April; met with him at Hightown after the attack; had not seen him before; he had a pistol with him and nothing else; he said he had been at the attack at the mill; they parted with him before they got to Cowcliffe.