ABSTRACT

The last decades of the seventeenth century saw an important turn in opera production in Rome. While performances were common in aristocratic palaces, it is only with the opening of the Teatro Tordinona in 1671 that the Roman aristocracy, in spite of the frequent papal bans, attempted to establish commercial productions on a regular basis. These years saw also the opening of another theater, the Teatro Capranica, which despite its location in the Palace of the Capranica family, offered performances of opera to a paying audience. Many of the works performed in these theaters were revivals of operas premiered in Venice. 1