Many children with special needs have communication problems. They may be referred to a speech and language therapist for the assessment and management of their difficulties either because a Statement of Need is proposed for such a child or because a specific communication assessment is required. If a statement is being prepared, the speech and language therapist will write a report, which will be included in the statement.