A Holy Sepulchre was built in the narthex of the Carolingian cathedral of St Maurice at Vienne. The cathedral was then partially reconstructed between 1140 and 1170, during which time this imitation of the tomb of Christ was not only preserved but became the centerpiece of a new iconographic programme. Subsequently, in the second quarter of the 13th century, Archbishop Jean de Bernin extended the cathedral and constructed a suite of lateral chapels. Jean de Bernin’s cathedral extension, along with the construction of buildings for the canons on the north side of the cathedral, necessitated the destruction of three former chapels and the disruption of a cemetery that housed several tombs of kings and queens of Burgundy, including that of Boson. In homage to their memory, the chapels were reconstructed east of the new cloister and the tombs of two queens of Burgundy were moved. Thus, the reorganization respected the original disposition of tombs and spaces within the cathedral precinct. The coherence of an iconographic programme established in the 12th century was preserved while a more elaborate ‘scenography’ was developed.