A History of Religion in America: From the First Settlements through the Civil War provides comprehensive coverage of the history of religion in America from the pre-colonial era through the aftermath of the Civil War. It explores major religious groups in the United States and the following topics:
• Native American religion before and after the Columbian encounter
• Religion and the Founding Fathers
• Was America founded as a Christian nation?
• Religion and reform in the 19th century
• The first religious outsiders
• A nation and its churches divided
Chronologically arranged and integrating various religious developments into a coherent historical narrative, this book also contains useful chapter summaries and review questions. Designed for undergraduate religious studies and history students A History of Religion in America provides a substantive and comprehensive introduction to the complexity of religion in American history.