Videogame development is usually seen as a male dominated field; even playing videogames is often wrongly viewed as a pastime for men only. But behind the curtain, women have always played myriad important roles in gaming. From programmers to artists, designers to producers, female videogame developers endure not only the pressures of their jobs but also epic levels of harassment and hostility. Jennifer Brandes Hepler’s Women in Game Development: Breaking the Glass Level-Cap gives voice to talented and experienced female game developers from a variety of backgrounds, letting them share the passion that drives them to keep making games.
- Experience the unique stories of nearly two dozen female game developers, from old-school veterans to rising stars.
- Understand the role of women in videogames, from the earliest days of development to the present day.
- Hear first-hand perspectives from working professionals in fields including coding, design, art, writing, community management, production and journalism.
- Get tips for how to be a better ally and make your company and teams more inclusive.
- Learn about the obstacles you face if you’re an aspiring female developer, and how to overcome them.
- Meet the human face of some of the women who have endured the industry’s worst harassment… and kept on going.