Building on the unfolding and expanding embeddedness of digital technologies in all aspects of life, Interactive Sports Technologies: Performance, Participation, Safety focuses on the intersection of body movement, physical awareness, engineering, design, software, and hardware to capture emerging trends for enhancing sports and athletic activities. The accessible and inspiring compilation of theoretical, critical, and phenomenological approaches utilizes the domain of sports to extend our understanding of the nexus between somatic knowledge and human-computer interaction in general. Within this framework, the chapters in this volume draw upon a variety of concepts, processes, practices, and elucidative examples to bring together a timely assessment of interactive technologies’ potential to facilitate increased performance, participation, and safety in sports.
The contents of the book are organized under five thematic areas—Embodiment, Content, Materiality, Information Architecture and Design, and Applications—which invite diverse perspectives from a wide range of academic and practice-based researchers within a comprehensive coverage of sport disciplines.
1. Introduction: A Comprehensive Approach to Interactive Sports Technologies
2. Interactive Technology Integrating with the Physically Active Human Body: Learnings from Rider and eBike Integration
3. Technologies and Methodological Procedures for Measuring Physical Performance in a Velocity-Controlled Resistance Training Setting
4. Deliberate Practice, Sports Expertise, and Instincts That Can Be Taught Using Interactive Sports Technologies
5. Collecting and Presenting Data for Performance Impact in Elite Sport: Finding the Right Balance Between Humans and Machines
6. The Design of Interactive Real-Time Audio Feedback Systems for Application in Sports
7. Augmented Reality for Sports Spectating and Coaching
8. Designing Augmented Ball-Based Team Games
9. The Relevance of a Gamified Football/Soccer Development Platform
10. Technology, Disability and High-Performance Sport: A Socio-Cultural Reading
11. In Lieu of an Afterword: "Embodiment and Skill Acquisition in Sports Technologies" Course Syllabus