Debates in Art and Design Education encourages student and practising teachers to engage with contemporary issues and developments in learning and teaching. This fully updated second edition introduces key issues, concepts and tensions in order to help art educators develop a critical approach to their practice in response to the changing fields of education and visual culture.
Accessible, comprehensive chapters are designed to stimulate thinking and understanding in relation to theory and practice, and help art educators to make informed judgements by arguing from a position based on theoretical knowledge and understanding. Contributing artists, lecturers and teachers debate a wide range of issues including:
- the latest policy and initiatives in secondary art education
- the concepts, skills and dispositions that can be developed through art education
- tensions inherent in developing the inclusive Art and Design classroom
- citizenship education within Art and Design teaching
- new practices in community arts education
- examining ‘whiteness’ in the sector
Debates in Art and Design Education is for all student and practising teachers interested in furthering their understanding of an exciting, ever-changing field, and supports art educators in articulating how the subject is a vital, engaging and necessary part of the twenty-first century curriculum.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
part Part 1|46 pages
part Part 2|50 pages
part Part 3|78 pages
part Part 4|40 pages
Sites for learning, sites for action