Despite its significant growth over the past five years, the mobile and social videogame industry is still maturing at a rapid rate. Due to various storage and visual and sound asset restrictions, mobile and social gaming must have innovative storytelling techniques. Narrative Tactics grants readers practical advice for improving narrative design and game writing for mobile and social games, and helps them rise to the challenge of mobile game storytelling. The first half of the book covers general storytelling techniques, including worldbuilding, character design, dialogue, and quests. In the second half, leading experts in the field explore various genres and types of mobile and social games, including educational games, licensed IP, games for specific demographics, branding games, and free to play (F2P).
- The only book dedicated to narrative design and game writing in social and mobile games, an explosive market overtaking the console gaming market.
- Provides tips for narrative design and writing tailored specifically for mobile and social game markets.
- Guides readers along with conclusions that include questions to help the reader in narrative design and/or writing.
- Explores real games to illustrate theory and best practices with analyses of game case studies per chapter, covering indie, social/mobile, and AAA games.
- Includes checklists to help readers critique their own narrative design/writing.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
section I|2 pages
Storytelling in mobile and social games
section II|2 pages
Storytelling for different demographics and genres